Aircraft | Avro Anson

 

Airworthy Avro Anson C.21 (WD413) seen on the flightline at the May 2003 Air Show at Duxford. Operated by Air Atlantique at Coventry Airport it was originally built in 1950 as a T.21 navigational trainer and served with No.1 Air Navigation School. Following conversion to a C.21 variant it later served with RAF Bomber Command Communications Squadron and Transport Command Communications Squadron. It is displayed in the markings of Bomber Command.

 

(Picture May 2003)


   

At Duxford, the Imperial War Museum's Avro Anson I (N4877) is close to the end of a full restoration. Pictured inside Hanger 5 at Duxford, this aircraft is painted to represent an Anson that, while serving with 500 Squadron in 1940,  engaged a group of Messerschmitt BF109s. Amongst other tasks, this particular aircraft was used as a crew ferry by the RAF during World War 2. It was later flown by civilian operators as G-AMDA, serving with the Air Navigation and Trading Company, Derby Aviation and the London School of Flying. It was part of the Skyfame collection at Staverton and flew for a number of years in 206 Markings before a landing accident at Staverton late in 1972.

 

(Picture May 2003)


   
Avro Anson C.19 (TX214) at the RAF Museum Cosford - Click for Full Image

Avro Anson C.19 (TX214) at the Royal Air Force Museum Cosford was built in 1945 and initially served with No.1 Ferry Unit. Further periods with Staff College Communications Flight, HQ Reserve Command Communications Squadron and Metropolitan Communications Squadron at RAF Hendon followed before in 1963 it was flown to RAF Henlow for storage as part of the RAF Museum collection . It arrived at Cosford in May 1979.

 

(Picture May 2003)


   
Avro Anson C.19 (VL348) at the Newark Air Museum - Click for Full Image

Avro Anson C.19 (VL348) at the Newark Air Museum. After serving with the Communication Flights of a variety of Groups of RAF Home Command this Anson was retired from RAF service in 1968. In the early 1970's, this aircraft was used to replace a previous Anson at Newark that had been destroyed by fire. The wings of the previous Anson were used to replace the ailing wings of VL348.

 

(Picture February 2003)

   
 

...back to top of page


Home | Museums | Aircraft | Displays | Archive | Links

Site Info | Conditions | What's New

 
Swept Wings Website, 2001-2003 Mark Rogers