Aircraft | Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

 

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally B' (G-BEDF) at Duxford - Click for Full Image

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally B' (44-85784/G-BEDF) at Duxford. Built in 1944, she served with USAF as 44-85784 and was later used by the General Electric Flight Test Centre at Schenectady, New York for the testing of infra-red equipment. Acquired by the French organisation IGN in the late 1950's, she was registered as F-BGSR and was used for photographic work. Sold in 1975, this B17 arrived at Duxford in March that year and has remained there ever since.  

(Picture April 2003)


 
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Mary Alice' (44-83735) in the American Air Museum at Duxford - Click for Full Image

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Mary Alice' (44-83735) in the American Air Museum at Duxford. This aircraft was delivered to the USAAF in May 1945 and was almost sold for scrap before being bought by Philippine Airways. In 1952, the French Institut Geographique (IGN) bought for aircraft for use in mapping French territories. Given the name 'Chateau de Verneuil' and operating as F-BRDS it served IGN for 20 years until it was grounded at Creil in 1971. It arrived at Duxford in 1975 alongside ex-IGN (44-85784/G-BEDF) and was purchased by the Imperial War Museum in 1978. It is displayed in the colours of 'Mary Alice', an aircraft that served with the 615th Bomber Squadron of the Eighth Air Force and completed approximately 100 missions between March 1944 and the end of the War in Europe.

 

(Picture September 2002)


   
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Pink Lady' (44-8846/F-AZDX) - Click for Full Image

French-based Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Pink Lady' (44-8846/F-AZDX) at Duxford for the Flying Legends 2002 Air Display.

 

(Picture July 2002)


   
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (44-83868) at the RAF Museum, Hendon - Click for Full Image

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (44-83868) at the RAF Museum, Hendon was built in 1944 by Douglas Aircraft Corporation. In July of the following year it joined the US Navy and was used maritime reconnaissance duties - serving with US Navy Squadron VX-4 from the West Coast of the US. In 1955 it was put into store before being sold to Butler Aviation in Oregon for use as a water bomber to suppress forest fires. Retiring from fire fighting in 1982 it flew to the UK in 1983 following conversion back to it's original B-17G configuration. It is displayed in the colour scheme of the 94th Bomber Group, based at Bury St. Edmunds during World War 2.

 

(Picture November 2002)

   
 

...back to top of page


Home | Museums | Aircraft | Displays | Archive | Links

Site Info | Conditions | What's New

 
 
Swept Wings Website, 2001-2003 Mark Rogers