Aircraft | Armstrong Whitworth Meteor

...see also Gloster Meteor page


 

Gloster Meteor NF11 (WM167) at the Classic Air Show, Coventry - Click for Full Image

Airworthy Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.11 (WS692) (WM167) at the Classic Air Show, Coventry in May 2003. The aircraft gave a superb display in partnership with a Vampire. Although initially built as a NF.11, this aircraft  was later converted to TT.20 standard. Restored back to NF.11 configuration it is based at Bournemouth.

(Picture May 2003)


 

Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.12 (WS692) at Newark Air Museum - Click for Full Image

The Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.12 (WS692) at the Newark Air Museum was built in September 1953. It was initially delivered to 33 MU before serving with 46 Squadron at RAF Odiham, Hampshire and 72 Squadron at RAF Church Fenton, North Yorkshire. The aircraft was transferred to Newark by road in October 1981.

(Picture August 2001)


 

Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.14 (WS739) at Newark Air Museum - Click for Full Image

Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.14 (WS739) at the Newark Air Museum initially served with 25 Squadron at both RAF Tangmere, Hampshire and RAF Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire. It was later converted for use with No.1 and 2 Air Navigation Schools. From the late 1960's to mid 1970's it was at the gate of RAF Church Fenton. It arrived at Newark in January 1984.

(Picture May 2003)


 

Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.14 (WS843) at RAF Museum, Cosford - Click to See Full Image

 

Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.14 (WS843) at RAF Museum, Cosford.

 

(Picture July 2002)


  

Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.14 (WS838) at the Midland Air Museum where it is currently on loan from the RAF Museum, Cosford - Click for Full Image

Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.14 (WS838) at the Midland Air Museum where it is currently on loan from the RAF Museum, Cosford. Pictured in April 2003 while under restoration. Previously displayed in yellow markings it will revert to a camouflage scheme.

(Picture April 2003)


 

Meteor NF.14 (WS788) at the Yorkshire Air Museum - Click for Full Image

The Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.14 (WS788) at the Yorkshire Air Museum was originally issued to 152 Squadron at Wattisham in 1954 and is displayed in the colours of that Squadron. It later served with the No.1 Air Navigation School at Thorney Island, the No.2 School at Stradishall and the Partington Radar Station at Spurn Head. After this it was a Gate Guard at RAF Leeming before arriving at Elvington in 1991. It was minus it's nose wheel when this picture was taken.

 

(Picture February 2003)

 

...back to top of page


Home | Museums | Aircraft | Displays | Archive | Links

Site Info | Conditions | What's New

Swept Wings Website, 2001-2003 Mark Rogers