Aircraft | De Havilland Mosquito

   
De Havilland Mosquito Prototype (W4050) at the De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre at London Colney - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Mosquito Prototype (W4050) at the De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre at Salisbury Hall, London Colney. Built in 9140 at Salisbury Hall it was transferred by road to nearby Hatfield where it first flew in November 1940 in a yellow livery. It suffered fuselage damage from a number of heavy landings during extensive trails. In 1944 it was finally grounded to be used for apprentice training. It was put into storage in June 1947 before being finally moved back to Salisbury Hall in 1959 for public display when the Museum opened during that year.    

 

(Picture April 2003)


   
De Havilland Mosquito B.Mk.35 (TA634) at the De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre at London Colney - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Mosquito B.Mk.35 (TA634) can also be found at the De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre at Salisbury Hall, London Colney. This aircraft was one of the final Hatfield-built Mosquitos in 1945 and was later modified for target tug work. Serving with 4 CAACU (Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit) and then 3 CAACU at Exeter it was retired in 1959. This aircraft flew in the film "Mosquito Squadron" and was last flown in July 1968 before being donated to the Museum. It looks great and is displayed in the colours of 571 Squadron of the Late Night Strike Force.

 

(Picture April 2003)


  

De Havilland Mosquito TT.35 (TA639) at the RAF Museum, Cosford - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Mosquito TT.35 (TA639) in the 'War Planes' Hanger at the RAF Museum, Cosford. Built at Hatfield as a bomber variant before conversion to a target tug, this aircraft served with 3 CAACU at Exeter. Used in the film '633 Squadron' it now wears the markings of the Mosquito in which Wing Commander Guy Gibson VC lost his life on the 19th September 1944.

 

(Picture July 2002)


   
De Havilland Mosquito TT.35 (TA719) at Duxford - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Mosquito TT.35 (TA719) at Duxford. This aircraft was delivered to the RAF in July 1945 and subsequently remained in storage for six years. Thereafter it served with 3 CAACU (Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit) at Exeter as a target tug until 1961. It became part of the Skyfame Collection based at Staverton in July 1963 and flew in the '633 Squadron' film and had a static role in the 'Mosquito Squadron' film. It arrived at Duxford in 1978 with the majority of the Skyfame collection and is now part of the Imperial War Museum.

 

(Picture August 2002)


   
De Havilland Mosquito B.35 (TJ138) at the RAF Museum, Hendon - Click for Full Image

The De Havilland Mosquito B.35 (TJ138) at the RAF Museum, Hendon was originally delivered to 27 MU at RAF Shawbury in August 1945. It then served with 98 Squadron at RAF Celle in Germany before joining No.5 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit at RAF LLanbedr. Also serving with THUM (Temperature and Humidity) Flight at RAF Woodvale, it's operational career ended in 1959 and it arrived at Hendon in 1992. It is displayed in the post-war colours of 98 Squadron.

 

(Picture March 2003)


   
De Havilland Mosquito NF.II (HJ711) at the Yorkshire Air Museum - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Mosquito NF.II (HJ711) can be found at the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington, York. This Mosquito has been subject to many years of dedicated restoration by Tony Agar.

 

(Picture March 2003)

 

Home | Museums | Aircraft | Displays | Archive | Links

Site Info | Conditions | What's New

 
Swept Wings Website, 2001-2003 Mark Rogers