Aircraft | De Havilland Sea Venom

 

De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.22 (WW217) at the Newark Air Museum - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.22 (WW217) at the Newark Air Museum served with 890 Squadron at RNAS Stretton from August 1955 to June 1959. During this time it flew with the Squadron's aerobatic team 'Witchcraft' of three Sea Venoms. Originally an FAW.21, it was converted to FAW.22 standard in late 1959 and joined 891 Squadron and operated for a period from Malta. After being placed in store the aircraft eventually found itself with the South Wales Aircraft Preservation Society at Cardiff Airport before arriving at Newark in late 1983. It is displayed on the colours of 890 Squadron.

(Picture February 2003)

 

 

De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.21 (XG613) at Duxford - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.21 (XG613) is part of the Imperial War Museum Collection at Duxford and can be found in Hanger 3. It was used for development work during all its operational career; including handling trials with drop tanks and testing catapult arresting gear. It arrived at Duxford in 1972 having spent the previous two years on display at Old Warden.

(Picture March 2003)


 

De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.2 (XG730) at the De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre at London Colney - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.2 (XG730) at the De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre at Salisbury Hall, London Colney. This aircraft is one of the last Sea Venoms built and first flew in 1957. It served with 891, 893 and 894 Squadron and made it's final flight in July 1970 and was displayed at the School of Maritime Operations, HMS Dryad. In 1978 it was released to the De Havilland Museum and arrived at Salisbury Hall in October of that year. It is displayed in 894 Squadron markings.

(Picture April 2003)


 

De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.22 (WW145) at the Museum of Flight - Click for Full Image

De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.22 (WW145) at the Museum of Flight at East Fortune. Initially built as an FAW.21, it was delivered as to 891 Squadron before being upgraded to an FAW.22 variant in 1958. It later transferred to 750 Squadron before ending it's operational career at Lossiemouth. It arrived at East Fortune in 1972. 

(Picture August 2003)

 

...back to top of page


Home | Museums | Aircraft | Displays | Archive | Links

Site Info | Conditions | What's New

 
Swept Wings Website, 2001-2003 Mark Rogers