Aircraft | Fiesler Storch

 

Fiesler Storch (G-BPHZ) at Duxford - Click for Full Image

Airworthy Fiesler Storch (G-BPHZ) seen on the flightline at the May 2003 Air Show at Duxford. Operated by the Historic Aircraft Collection at Duxford, this Storch was built under licence in France in 1942 by Morane Saulnier as an MS.500 Criquet. After hostilities it was used by the French Air Force. Originally fitted with an Argus V8 engine this was changed in 1965 to a Jacobs Radial, with the aircraft becoming an MS.505. After work as a glider tug and a period of storage, the Storch arrived in the UK in 1988 and was restored by the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford. It joined the Historic Aircraft Collection in 2002.

 

(Picture May 2003)


   
Morane Saulnier MS.502 Criquet at Duxford - Click for Full Image

Also at Duxford, the Imperial War Museum's Storch is also French built, being a Morane Saulnier MS.502 Criquet. Subject to a complete restoration that was finished in the mid 1990's it is displayed in the colours of the aircraft used by General Erich Hoepner, Commander of the Fourth Panzer Group, during the German invasion of Russia in 1941.

 

(Picture April 2003)


   
Fiesler Fi 156C-7 Storch (VP746) at the Royal Air Force Museum, Cosford - Click for Full Image

At the Royal Air Force Museum at Cosford is a Fiesler Fi 156C-7 Storch (VP746) which was built by Mraz in Czechoslovakia. It is thought that this aircraft was surrendered at Flensburg. Thereafter, it was returned to Farnborough in the UK for trials and spent time at RAF Halton for training purposes before being put into store. It arrived at Cosford in 1989.

 

(Picture April 2003)

   
 

...back to top of page


Home | Museums | Aircraft | Displays | Archive | Links

Site Info | Conditions | What's New

 
Swept Wings Website, 2001-2003 Mark Rogers